Fall is finally here! I can’t wait to share all of these fall date ideas with you. I’m honestly torn between summer and fall as my favorite season. I do still know that Winter comes in dead last on this ranking of seasons haha. Because of how long and how cold winter is in this DC area, we have to make the most of this little pocket of time during fall to do all the seasonal activities!
This list of suggested fall date ideas serves also as a bucket list for me as well! Fall is always jam packed with life events between birthdays, weddings and holidays. Any of these activities would be easy to plan on a free weekend! Some of these might be more specific to the DMV area but you can always check to see if there is something similar where you live!
- Apple Picking – In the DC area there are actually a few different places that are all about 45 minutes to an hour away. Great Country Farms and Stribling Orchard are two that I can recommend! This activity is so much fun and actually a good amount of work! You MUST have the cider donuts wherever you go!
- Visit a Local Winery for the DC area I’ve heard great things about Winery at Bull Run and Stone Tower Winery and I hear that Barrel Oak Winery is Dog Friendly! (or for DC locals there are always wine festivals)
- Go to a Pumpkin Patch – this is such a classic activity! Many of the apple places will also have a nice pumpkin area
- Go Hiking for a Day – I’ve actually never been hiking but I think this would be such a fun activity! I’m not the biggest outdoors person, but every now and then I like to do something adventurous
- Do a weekend cabin getaway- something about staying in a cabin just screams fall to me! I can only imagine how beautiful it would be with the leaves changing.
- Take a mini road trip and explore a new city – Find a new place you can explore that is 2 hours or less away! If you’re in the DC area you can really end up in a variety of states haha
- Go tailgating and to a football game – college football season is the best. I’m honestly not even that into the actual sport, but the festivities is what I’m here for!
- Visit the Farmers Market for seasonal goods – this is the perfect time to pick up all the seasonal produce.
- Go horseback riding
- Have a fall picnic – I can already see how cute this vibe would be!
- Try cooking different fall recipes together – Use those seasonal goods you got at the farmers market and come up with some delicious meals!
- Go to a festival (DC Locals can check out H-Street festival or the Taste of DC. There are also a ton of other seasonal ones)
- Go to a Halloween themed attraction – I know both Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens go all out for Halloween
- Visit a local brewery (DC locals can check out the Pop up bar and whatever theme it is)
- Volunteer together (Food or clothing drive are good starters)
- Carve and decorate pumpkins (that you got from the pumpkin patch)
- Go to a seasonal exhibit – These seem to be more popular as exhibits travel more often. It may not be fall themed, but be sure to check it out. 29 Rooms is coming to DC during October!
- Visit County or State Fair (North Carolina’s State fair is the best!)
- Take a scenic drive to see the changing leaves
- Do a staycation and check out a different hotel in the city! I’ve been wanting to check out the Line Hotel in DC and the Willard Intercontinental in DC looks Amazing!
- Be a tourist for a day & check out the top attractions listed in your area. Thrillist always has great recommendations for each city!
Let me know if you try out any of these fall date ideas. If you’re already looking towards winter date ideas, I have some linked here!