Whew! We are already into 2019. As I am writing this post, already a full week into 2019. I pray that you had a wonderful and safe celebration to bring in the new year and that we are all prosperous and achieve our goals in 2019. I wanted to recap my year for you and share a few lessons I learned. 2018 has really been a foundational year for me.
All 2018 I really believe I spent preparing for the great things waiting in 2019. 2018 was a fairly low-key year for me, but 2019 I did not come to play with y’all! Even before 2019 came to be, I started implementing new habits so they would already stick by the time the new year came.
I kind of see 2018 as like freshman year when you’re figuring out things and navigating your way through the process. 2019 will be my sophomore year when I come back confident and prepared to excel. First, let’s go through a few of my highlights! This is a very high-level summary of all the fun and the memories that were made. I know I’m missing a few things, but these are just some of the great things from the year.
Quarter 1 (Jan, Feb, March):
- We brought in the New Year at a friend’s which was the perfect way for us
- I won box seat tickets to a Wizards game
- Selwyn and I celebrated both of our birthdays
- I went to Chicago to celebrate my Aunt’s Bachelorette weekend
Quarter 2 (April, May, June):
- I went back to my Alma Mater (NC State for a weekend event)
- Celebrated a friend’s 30th
- Mother’s day weekend I took my mom to see Katt Williams
- We decided on a Wedding Venue
- We had several family and friends come up to visit us
Quarter 3 (July, Aug, Sept):
- I got invited to attend a Sephora Grand Opening
- Went to the Sam Smith concert
- Went on a boat trip & More friends came to visit
- Found my Wedding Dress
- Selwyn, & I moved into our first apartment together
- My team at work threw us an Engagement party
- We got Kaptain!
Quarter 4 (Oct, Nov, Dec):
- Went to my Best Friend’s Bridal Shower weekend
- Selwyn’s Job had a Prom
- Family Member’s Wedding
- Went to my Cousin’s baby shower in Chicago
- My Best Friend got married
- Went home for Thanksgiving and Christmas!
As you can see, I had a pretty busy year! But it was busy will all positive things. Every day I’m so grateful for the life I live and the people that God has placed in my life to help make it that much better.
So now for the lessons… I learned a lot about myself and how I can get in my own way. Two major things I am working on for 2019 are getting rid of procrastination and indecision. I’ve learned that both procrastination and indecision are results of other emotions that I might be experiencing. I realized that when I don’t want to make a decision or I don’t know if I’m making the right decision I just don’t make one at all. That isn’t really the best idea when things need to get done. So now when this happens I try to get to the root of what I’m afraid of and face that head-on.
With procrastination, I can tell I put things off if I just don’t want to do them or if I don’t feel equipped to handle the task. And this can go across the board in various areas whether it is blogging, wedding planning or even my career. I realize that not knowing how to do something isn’t the end of the world and I just have to use my resources to figure out how to accomplish what I need to.
I need to stop wasting time. Period. lol I can have all the schedules and all plans. But then when it comes down to it I’ve spent the last hour scrolling on Instagram and not getting things done. I hate the feeling of trying to figure out what I accomplished for the day and barely anything I set out to do is done. It is one thing if life just gets in the way, but it is a whole different thing if I’m just chilling and not being productive.
- Act more and stop overthinking situations–Just execute
- Value my own time and make the most of it
- Be healthy in all ways (Physically, mentally, spiritually)
- Enjoy life more in the moment and for what it is today
- Become more consistent and value the commitments I make to myself just as much as I do for the commitments I make to others
- Play to win
Again, this is a high-level summary of my goals and I will go into more detail on how I plan to achieve some of these and also what they actually mean in my life, career and business. I’m so excited to spend another year working on being a Boss Lady and sharing my journey with you! Be sure to follow me on Instagram here to see how my 2019 goes 🙂
Happy New Year!